1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. forum forum useful

Just started. A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Archive 2.0' started by thraex, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Vasto

Vasto User

Hello everyone,

I'm an old L2 player, played between C3 and CT1 (Kamael) mostly on private servers. It was during my younger days so i used to play a lot (sleep/school/L2 :p ).
    Recently i found myself with some 'garbage time' so i've figured i would give L2 a try, just because i was feeling nostalgic.
    Did some research, found out L2 classic is a thing, opted for official instead of a private server and ended up playing on the NA server ( note: seems the marketing for this EU server is somewhat lacking when compared to NA ). I started on Giran (seemed to be the most populated), but after a couple of days i gave up. While i understand that f2p servers need a way to make money, the approach was off-putting.
    So, while i was searching for an alternative, i stumbled on Skelth. It was L2 classic, it was EU based, it was subscription based (no pay2win shenanigans). The only thing that made me a bit hesitant was it's age, almost 3 years. Still, i figured 7 days + 1 month of 2euro ain't so bad a deal if you want to tests it out.

At the moment i have 2 chars, one ~3x dagger and one ~2x spoiler. Not bad for a couple of casual days.

My observations thus far:
    1. Starter towns are empty. I think i've seen one or two dwarfs in their village, but the dark elf town was emptier then a bar on monday.
    2. The newbie package is a godsend. Very good idea!
    3. Gludin/Gludio/Dion/Giran have almost no shops. I was so used to seeing Giran full to the brim, and everyone shouting nonstop. The lack of shouts and seeing Giran especially void of shops was somewhat of a shock.
    4. Considering it's age, i still see some people in low level grounds. It's always nice to see fellow newbies.
    5. Having all shops in MDT is something new for me. Also, it seems most people deal mostly in high level stuff. For someone who just started, the variety in what's being sold or bought does not seem to be that great.
    6. I like this new implementation of fishing, as an AFK mechanic (while talking with the fisherman, he says something about a float. Is that a thing? If it exists, where can i purchase it? )
    7. Party finding functionality does not seem to be really used. From what i saw, it's mostly people selling stuff ( a bit sad, but one has the freedom to do such a thing )

My questions so far:
    1. How is the server population?
    I don't plan to dual box since this game ain't a solo farming simulator. I can easily maintain and afford up to 4 different accounts, but it's overkill and i'd like to stick with 1-2. That being said, it would be disappointing to reach higher levels and see there's barely anyone around.
    2. PvP
    At higher levels, do people still fight it out? Ganking? RB fights? Sieges?
    I'm used to having huge fights for epics, such as AQ or Antharas or Baium.
    And in sieges, i was used to big clan and alliance fights. Each castle would have been fought over. There was never a time where we would just sit there, waiting for the time to pass.
    How are things here in this regard?
    3. In the current patch, how much use does a dagger bring? I'm interested in CP, RB parties and mass PvP. My initial plan was to make a SK and use banish seraph to level up, but that's not in the game yet. I don't like the archer playstyle so it was either a nuker or a dagger. Hell, i might even main a spoiler or crafter, just for the fun of it. Nothing brings more shame then being killed by some aggressive tiny dwarf (i should know... )

Paljar likes this.
  2. 1Shadow9Fists

1Shadow9Fists User

1) look asap for clans/CP/newborn groups to join them. Open thread in recruitment here or just check what is needed. Ask hero ingame to shout for you (that you are looking for clan, group, etc, what class you play ). Join Discord Skelth group for more of the same.
    2) New people struggle to lvl up, most of loc include top spots are empty or not so contested, ergo pvp is rare. End game content is more crowded. Still people fight mostly over raids. Sieges too ofc. There are times when we have everyday pvp, sometimes days/weeks pass without much fights.
    3) dwarfs are beasts, daggers - look for DickTheQuick post in similar topic, let me check where was https://eu.4gameforum.com/threads/660073/
    My advice is - if you want to progress fast and have end game quickly for you, main support class (BD, SwS, Bishop, WC, SE or EE).
    PvE beasts are WL and orcs. Tanks are so-so. Depend on what group you start exp with. If you want to be DD for pvp... consider duo/trio box as minimum. Aka PP+BD. And you can be one of the many dd's without group, which I got you have no interested doing.

3. Vasto

Vasto User

So does this mean the future is looking gloom? What's your intake on the server lifespan? Can we expect 2+ more years ?
    I did take a look.
    From what I understood, melee DD CP is a somewhat rare sight in this game version. Am i wrong on this assumption ?

4. HundredBeasts

HundredBeasts User

Never felt better playing here than now , and i play since day 1, so it pretty much sum the server for you.

WTB Absentee info!

5. Vasto

Vasto User

While I'm no stranger to L2, this 'classic' version has certain elements that are new to me and as such i'm not yet very knowledgeable of the do's and dont's or what the current meta is.
    From your own experience, what would be more worthwhile in the long run between AW and SK, considering the following criteria:

1. Raid Boss efficiency (last time i played, one could deal with most bosses using 1-2 CP; idk if that's changed but having a class that is sought after for this kind of activity is a plus)
    2. Utility to clan/alliance
    3. Small scale PvP (party vs party)
    4. Large scale PvP (siege or world bosses)

6. HundredBeasts

HundredBeasts User

What can i say?

U like to just run into people like a mad man and scream "MALAKAAAAAS!"? Go SK

U want to 0-100 someone , knowing that u run a high risk of failing , and be patient to size your chance on a pvp matchup? Go AW

I just have experience with the first one, but people don't let me be the mad man :(

SK has since the beggining of the server good popularity between players. What can give you an idea how strong the character is, but at this moment when someone pick a tank they end up running a Dark Avanger insteead of any other tank, because of: things.

About daggers, in the beggining only suicides picked them, but you could find some, players that still today play dagger. At some point at 2.0 i believe, they grow up in the community, and its pretty usual today to find dagger players.

About choosing the right dagger is up to you. In my opinion AW should be the strongest, because of the 0-100 factor, but TH is very famous between players, and PW is picked too, for me they are all kinda balanced between them, but only a dagger player could clear you more about that. Try for example @JaimeLannister , he is a dagger player since skelth opening, he has far more experience than me about daggers.

7. 1Shadow9Fists

1Shadow9Fists User

Its not gloom. Just its not server for 1-2 months play and forget about game.
    Mele cp's are usually build by orcs coz they just wipe out mobs like no other class. Daggers are mostly re-roll veterans or cough cough others... dont rly want to explain that part, I didnt get ban recently.

About lifespan, it will be at least few more years, if something unexpected happens, like super stupid patch or something, that drive ppls mad and made them quit server.
    You ask too many specific question that cant be answered. Just taste it. If you like it, go find group of ppls to play with. Thats the way :)

8. JaimeLannister

JaimeLannister User

I won't lie you finding CP as a dagger is almost impossible. Dagger is luxoury pvp char best in party vs party or small amount of numbers. Not strong on siege and also not cool for farm (none AOE skill, weaker single dmg then Orcs and Summoners/Archers) :}

SK is very variative can fill up in all kind of CP-s.

For daggers there are many topics on forum ,,Class Discussion sections." you can also ask smt specific in game or at personal on forum.

thraex likes this.
  9. DigRaj

DigRaj User

man ur 5mins into a 3year old game...its gonna be dead for the first month...even tho as a bishop i found parties everyday, depends on how social u r

if ur playing european times and need an evening cp come find me
    i just started an orc party and 2nd day in everyone is 40+

10. Tetsujin

Tetsujin User

Server is experiencing a 2nd dark age right now. It has happened before where population dropped to 300 people online. Time passed, dramas got more and more interesting and we had up to 2k for over 1 year straight. The 2nd great war has ended and the fact that new NA classic servers openned caused the population to decay to what it is now. I personally believe that it will rise again. Considering how buggy, bot infested NA classic is, it's only the matter of time.

11. nonas

nonas User

F2P makes the biggest difference, no matter how bot infested or not so buggy it is

12. AquaMarine

AquaMarine User

if you want to just log or set up a shop mb.
    if you want progress ingame , have descent drop/spoil rate you are forced to pay , so F2P as it is on Na is just a fools dream .

13. BLlZER

BLlZER User

I'm fairly new here but I got the feeling we are getting more players each day. Could be my impression and I'm wrong.

14. Budinoide

Budinoide Volunteer team

check it by yourself!

Btw, welcome! if oyu manage to bypass all the boring part of this sv, you may find an amazing place to make something in a long run. (most likely the "boring" parts are lack of content for lowbies apart of grinding and the finding a group to not go full meme 9 boxes aka finding a cp)
    you may check the recruitment channel and discord for that https://discord.gg/SND7va
    Here a 24 hour invitation for skelth's discord.

15. Vasto

Vasto User

Out of curiosity.
    Why have most shops moved to MDT?
    Was it always like that?
    I kind of miss the Giran crowding and shouts.

16. Budinoide

Budinoide Volunteer team

when i started ppl was there already.
    But it makes sense, it is a place that you can access from every gk in the map(except starter villages)

17. Tetsujin

Tetsujin User

Was like that from the very beginning. We used to run to others towns and back, cuz teleports were very expensive when server started :D And ports to MDT are free, so it just makes sense. I mean in the beginning we had to pay for teleports from lvl 1.

18. ooaris

ooaris User

Play spoiler main with pp box and vr stews. It's hard to make money with such small market. The most income you'll get will be from sells on grocery. U need all that junk from spoils to get asap a good Blunt and an othel 6 rune which is maybe the most important item for lvlup.
    Ofc don't main dagger now...
    WL being a pve machine as newcomer... No. There's not such thing.

19. Vasto

Vasto User

Yeah, i've decided to retire my dagger and instead play a tank. In my many years of playing L2, i've mostly played tyrant and SK :Ninja:
    I also started a spoiler on another account, like you said, to get mats.
    And as for the small market, idk man, i've seen many newbies around. So unless they are reroll chars there's still room to sell mats, even if it's not on the level as when the server started.

Yeap, i also got the same impression.
    I can only speak from experience, but so far, i've made a couple of new friends :D and all of them (except one) started the same time as me. While not yet a full CP, we're exp together most of the time.

Thanks for the input. I've never mained a dagger so i'll take your word for it.

20. Doggeh

Doggeh User

Make sure you take advantage of the current event (talk to Sibi, normally near the GK in any non-starter town)! I'm 7 days in and due to getting a cloth piece from the event am already looking good for at least some B grade gear :) Not even decided on what main yet... just levelling up a warsmith to start.