1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discord Support team Facebook l2central.info

SSD performance on Lineage. is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Archive 2.0' started by Mrnoobkilled, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbarabumba

Umbarabumba User

u didnt get the point of this topic dude
    he asked about ssd for l2 and the fact is it is not worth its price in this case, it wont help a lot

2. Altaric

Altaric User

i have an ssd here and had l2 installed on it.
    i moved l2 back to regular hdd because the server lags so much that it's purely a waste of high performance disk space and you will hardly see any improvement

maybe if you play on a decent server you will see the difference

3. Arcain

Arcain User

well, it's still worth for overfall performance in l2 and to reduce loading times. even despite npc lags it still does a lot. it wont' increase your fps (well, just by a bit), that's for sure, but you shouldn't feel any shuttering during the game like on hdd.

4. Altaric

Altaric User

it will be faster, yes. will you notice it ? barely

if you wish to purchase a ssd to speed your comp up, go ahead. if all you do on your comp is play l2, you will be spending alot of money for a small increase in speed.
    l2 has loading screens when you log in and when you use the gk. the strength of a ssd is to be able to access any file in aprox 0.1ms while a hdd takes 10ms.
    l2 will ask for files on said occasions and at these moments you might see the effect of the ssd. but npcs (or any non-permanant object in the game) will still show when the server tells you it's here : you might gain half a second loading aden map, but you will still need a whole minute to see everyone appear on your screen.

as for the game startup time (when you click "play"), the ssd is about 25% faster than than the hdd.

5. Midgard

Midgard User

i will also get an ssd next month when i have spare money :) i have exactly the same laptop gonna check if performance will improve and tell you for sure im thinking about kingston 64gb ssdnow v100 sata2 2.5" is it any good? any advice for the same price?. btw my laptop supports sata 2 will it be able to read sata 3? i mean read i dont expect sata 3 speed but will it at least read in sata 2 speeds? is it possible?

btw the most important part of my post. take a look at these videos. im experiencing exactly the same performance as it is shown on the left. is such improvement really possible?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
  6. pto..

pto.. User

to make it simple.

hdd 5200+ rpm 30 fps
    sdd disk 30 fps ( much faster loading times of pc npc terrain )

quad core 2.8 ghz 30 fps
    dual core oc 4.0 ghz 50 fps
    any other quad / dual core cpu 4.0 ghz +++ 50+ fps

oc'ing ur cpu will give u the best results in fps.

7. Strenki

Strenki User

ssd is superb. loading times are much much better. and not only lineage2 but whole windows response is magnificent
    those who say that ssd sux are poor or never worked on pc with it

ofc it doesnt give you more fps. becase thats cpu+gpu+ram work

8. mch79waw

mch79waw User

ssd will make location loading time faster, all npc aswell, fps won`t go up so much.
    but before you buy any ssd - check them very excatly - cause they like to crash - i mean i had win 7 and after some time my comp when win were loading like to freeze and only way was to format disk.

9. Midgard

Midgard User

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  10. Umbarabumba

Umbarabumba User

now read the title of this topic and tell him its worth

11. darky

darky User

ssd will give you fps

best of 2011

12. Midgard

Midgard User

ive just god kingston ssd and it worked! its freaking awesome now. fps are going crazy towns load instantly no more struggling and shuttering it is awesome! definitely worth buying! i was absolutely blown away by the performance. guys im not joking this is awesome!!!! :d

[​IMG]

btw those videos above are not fake. performance really improved that much

13. neizv

neizv User

you said lags. if by lag you mean a delay between clicking on the ground and seeing your character move there, you have high latency (ncsoft servers are hosted in us and might be lagging on top of that + you are european i reckon), which is in no way related to your computer performance.

nevertheless,
    hdd - ~80 mbps reading speed, 4-5 ms access latency (2-3 for raptors and such).

ssd - 150-600 mbps reading speed, 0.03-0.1 ms access latency

this results in fast loads in town and fast teleports. it increases the speed of how fast can you load new data, thats all it does. it doesnt give you more fps. the reason why you have low fps during loading in town is because your slowpoke hdd is not fast enough to do it. you can also mimic more ram capacity by creating a big virtual memory space on your ssd (to avoid the infamous fps drop in toi, for example).

if you have 5 fps in mass pvp with hdd, you will have 5 fps with ssd. as you said, l2 is an old game. thats why its so reliant on cpu - the game engine uses just 1 core.

also, if you actually get an ssd, put your os on it. its amazing. thats the main reason people buy it anyway. getting it just for faster ports in l2 is very unreasonable.

and here, because im such a good guy, just for you - http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds, in case you buy one.

14. el3ment

el3ment User

try hdd wd raptor 10k rpm! it is best choice for your pc its not need to spent 120$ for 60gb ssd just buy raptor 150 gb for 80$ :) !

15. Midgard

Midgard User

if u havent read my post i will repeat myself again for u :) ssd was totally worth it. it is amazing... huge huuugggeee fps increase

16. The50

The50 User

oh my god its so amazing. :) i need ssd too. :d it's a dream of lineage player. :d

17. telez

telez User

well, i recently bought an agility3 (120gb sata3 working on sata2 controller), since i play from a laptop (i7-620m, hd5650m). i had a mechanical 7200rpm disk, but its completly uncomparable.

its a really awesome thing to have on a pc that you use alot; faster load times on l2 is just a bonus. as some1 said previously, buy a ssd, put your os on it and your files (downloads, music, movies) on a spare disk with high capacity. for example, i did this on a laptop by e-baying a hard disk caddy (wich replaced my dvd driver -dont need it).

also, a fcking hard disk won't give you fps increases, so stop saying that. the disk simply works ultra fast and loads things faster, making it look like you get some extra fps.

bottom line: ssd is totally worthed. just don't buy those intel/kingston ssd's since they are the worst ssd's and cost the same as corsair/ocz ssd's wich are better (for example)

18. maxver

maxver User

theoretically they don't increases fps, but practically they do. it's weird. lineage 2 have much much images that have to load via hdd or ssd. as you know hdd are much slower. ssd disc connected via sata-iii can be 5 or more times faster by simply looking at read/write mb/s, depends on program etc. so ssd disc just increases loading textures, images, skill animation game is old and is based on simples textures/images. as you know game don't use so much cpu and gpu, look at comparison below.

computer 1 (mine):
    amd athlon ii x4 640 3,0ghz @3,25ghz (4 cores) (usage up to 25%)
    asus eah6850 directcu (usage 10-20%)
    samsung spinpoint f3 hd502hj 500gb 16mb cache 7200rpm
    kingston 2x2gb 1333mhz cl9
    windows 7

computer 2(friend)
    amd athlon x2 4000+ 2,1ghz (2 cores)
    amd 6850
    ssd disc (propably ocz)
    2gb ddr2 ram (up to 800mhz)
    windows 7

at yesterday sieges, i(computer 1) had like 1-10fps at full outzoom, he's game was moving smoothly so i suppose it was about 25++++ fps. also i know another friend with almost same pc like mine in rune town he had 80fps and me about 20fps (full details).

picture of siege:
    http://i.imgur.com/7akjdh.jpg

so, buying ssd for lineage gives you huuuuuuuge boost, you will see this huuuuuge difference at first launch, it really worth. players, town, locations will load much much faster and game will move smoother.

19. simchajra

simchajra User

and i thought l2 is more of a cpu dependent game. apparently not.
    also in the next update the client performance will get improved too afaik.

20. FizzyBubbelle

FizzyBubbelle User

so get a ssd or not?! and if yes, which one would be the best for my laptop. any of u guys - can u recommend me one?!

here my laptop details :

acer aspire 5740 g
    intel core i3 cpu m 330 @ 2.13 ghz
    4 gb ram
    windows 7

its not the best one i know...!

p.s: it overlockin a laptop cpu/gpu even worth it?! i mean will the cooler handle it?!

im thankin u guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.