1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discord Support team Facebook l2central.info

need my PC upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Archive 2.0' started by H473R, Oct 3, 2018.

1. H473R

H473R User

Hello all, i have a question about my PC.

I have this PC setup:
    CPU - i5 2500k @ 3.30 GHZ
    VGA - GTX 970 4GB
    RAM - 8GB (2x4GB) 668.5 MHz - CL 9-9-9-24
    HDD - system SSD, l2 SSD, WD 1TB

That question is about this setup. I have FPS arround 20-40-15 and when i play L2 and going on sieges, i cant that game play becose this FPS drops are really terrible. I see many videos on youtube, where people play on MAX settings castle sieges pvp and they dont have this drops. And of course i some times log my box and when i play with 2 window, drops starts, not every time but game is freezing or how to say that.

Is any chance to fix this with PC upgrade?
    If yes, which procesor specially is good for playing more better ? if ryzen or intel i dont know.. i just want play normally this game and i know that is an old engine, but dont say that all have fps arround 5 on sieges..

Thx for answer and sorry for my english.

2. iFilda

iFilda User

I'm not a person who can give you hw advice but before upgrading anything I'd recommend you to make sure there is no dust in your case and none of your hw parts are overheating. You say that your PC is old so make sure it is properly defragmeted and no unnecessary applications are running when you play. Also if you have some kind of cpu/vga programs, make sure they enable your hw to work to its full possibility.

3. LangleyQueen

LangleyQueen User

The problem with Lineage 2 is that they use a engine almost 20 years old ( not quite, but almost) and can't upgrade it to the new one ( Unreal 2 to unreal 4, used in almost all new games). Because of that, even a VERY GOOD machine has problems running Lineage 2 with too many people on the same place.

With that being said, if you really want to play "well", you will need one of these 2 change ups:

1-Ryzen processor ( Ryzen 5 2600/ Ryzen 7 2700 OR, if you really wants to spend some money on something that is absolutely brutal, Rizen ThreadRipper) + a strong video card (GTX 1060/70/80/80ti OR RX 560/570/580)
    2-Generation 7 or 8 of intel processor (i7- 7770/ i7 8700) + a strong video card

Those changes would make you need a new motherboard ( since the chipset is different from the ones you use) and you would need new RAM memories ( DDR4, instead of your current DDR3).

4. Palkah

Palkah User

Ryzen is better for multiboxing, intel for single window adventure. What really helps is SSD for system + L2 which is already covered here, but it also matters what kind of SSD it is. SSDs using M2 port tend to be a bit better for L2 than SATA ones for some reason, but it's not worth replacing in this case.

5. LangleyQueen

LangleyQueen User

I saw hew already had an SSD, but surely having an M2 with 1500 ~2000 MB reading/writing would make it smoother. But the processor + videocard is extremely needed.
    I was10 ~40 FPS in aden with an FX 8350(8 core/8threads) + Rx 480 ( 8GB GDDR5- 256bit) on one PC, and 40 ~90 with a Ryzen 5 2600x (6 core/12 threads) + GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 - 192 bit) on the other ( both with same SSD 500/500 Reading&Writing). it made a HUGE difference changing the processor

6. mYzor

mYzor User

For a start.
    Do you want to upgrade that pc, or are you looking for a new one? (this actually makes a big difference)
    If that was my pc, i would look into:
    Overclocking the CPU a bit. (if your motherboard allows it AND you have a cooler up to the task. Dont forget to re-paste with new/good thermal paste)
    Changing the graphics card. That 970 has that BS setup of 3.5GB + 0.5 GB. When time comes to load a truckload of textures, it may choke. A newer card with 8GB (6 at the minimum) would do.

Look into optimizing your SSD's and your OS, as that can give you a bit of performance.
    Sometimes, having some useless services running that you dont need, may eat up resources (RAM, SSD/HDD, CPU) that you definitely need while gaming.

If you need a new PC, thats a whole 'nother story. As if 100% depends on what you will use it for.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. iEdoo

iEdoo User

just so you know. the i5 2500k was one of the tops CPU's ever made, i doubt a ryzen 5 would beat that. also a GTX1060 its like 10% (at most) better than a GTX 970 http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2577vs3639. if you want to make a big change from that i would recomend an i5 8600k wich isnt way to expensive and probably the best CPU atm, and keep the 970 wich is a 10/10 card.

i would dare to say your main issues is this. also check your drivers

LangleyQueen likes this.
  8. Palkah

Palkah User

Intel CPUs are better for single and low-threaded tasks due to higher clock speeds. Therefore they perform better in AAA games. Ryzens are better for multithreaded tasks, like multiple windows of L2, mostly due to the fact that they give more cores (but a bit slower) for the same price, in comparison to Intels (at least in my country). It's not about which CPU is better, it depends on a task.

I'd switch that RAM tho, at least 16 GB of DDR4 2133 or 2400MHz, but that requires a new motherboard (which would be needed for a Ryzen anyway).

Friendly advice for anybody that reads this thread: never go cheap on a motherboard.

9. mYzor

mYzor User

And never go cheap on a Power Supply. Very important aswell!

10. H473R

H473R User

Thx for answers, and please help me to made decision. Its better to buy 8600k or that ryzen arround same price ?
    I know, that i need to buy new MB, RAM, CPU, VGA.

I want really boost that PC basicly for Lineage II and for another new FPS games or solo RPG games (im Lineage II Player basicly who loves sieges / pvp / pve and i want play that more without any problems or complications)

If is better to go ryzen or coffe lake i dont know - the vision is buy mb, cpu, ram and later vga + monitor free/g synced.

+ I have boxed iss but i think any of setup ryzen/coffe lake will handle it. (Ryzen has boxed cooling, amd not - money, are money but i need good pick with upgrade)

My current PC is really low and i know that. So if you can help me please answer and again thanks for all answers, im so gratefull :)

11. Palkah

Palkah User

It all depends on your budget.

As a Ryzen 7 1800X user since 4 months I can fully recommend it. I could play an AAA game on it, with 2 virtual machines in the background, and few L2 clients in Aden market without any problems. It didn't have a stock cooler, but a SilentiumPC CPU cooler for like 25 euros can keep a proper temperature. I can't overclock though, I've tried, 0.1MHz was +10 Celsius degrees, so if you want to OC, you'd need a serious cooler (you can always upgrade later)

The mobo I use is Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 and so far I had no problems with it, it's expensive but worth it.

I opted for GeForce GTX 1060 6GB with DualFan (always take a GPU with dual-fan when available, it's ~30 euro more expensive but helps a lot with the cooling). Why not 1080? For one, limited budget, and 2, I played AAA games on a laptop bought in 2012 in 1360*768 resolution on lowest details and 18 FPS. After that uhm 'experience', I figured out that any graphics improvement will be amazing anyway, and also most of the effects (Motion Blur, Lens Flares, ultra shadows) irritate me and I disable them anyway, so a 1060 was good for the job.

21Sav likes this.
  12. mYzor

mYzor User

Its realy hard to come up with any advice since we dont know the budget, we dont know if you are willing to reuse some of the old parts in the new rig, we dont know what's the resolution that you use/want, what specific games you play (some play better on nvidia, others on amd), and so on.
    Hell, even the case that you are using makes a difference. If you're using a case with poor airflow, it may influence the choice of PCU, for example. An intel CPU offers more "raw" power. An AMD one, more flexibility.
    (a Ryzen CPU may not use the XFR very well in a closed-up case, for example)

13. iEdoo

iEdoo User

14. Palkah

Palkah User

That benchmark's scoring is non-representative because it bases most of it's score on single-thread tests and 4-thread tests. It's one thing to look at "score numbers" and other to understand them. Intel offers 6 threads. Ryzen offers 16, and 2 more physical cores. It's power comes from multitasking, not doing a single thing while other 5/7 cores are idle and do nothing.

Again, it depends on what you need and your budget.

15. mYzor

mYzor User

Yep. Same thing with his post about the 970.
    The 970 is a good card, but if you start to overload its memory, performance goes to hell. Not only because those 4GB are getting on the low side, its layout ***** aswell. Its 3.5GB + 0.5GB. (has the potential to stutter)
    Most benchmarks have to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of Intels results may have been from tests before the whole "vulnerability" fixes.
    And the OP does NOT need an 8600k, neither a 2700x for gaming. Unless he's trying to go for competitive gaming and/or realy high fps/refresh rate (or streaming). Hell, even an AMD 1600/2600 would probably be more than enough for a gaming machine these days.

16. TheQQmaster

TheQQmaster User

funny, look GPU usage when u play l2, its like 13% in my case, ssd vs RAM disk no huge improvments, engine is old, 1 window - intel with hight single core performance, more windows mby ryzen

anyway game engine is old, leaks of memory etc, anyway cpu is way to go

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

17. mYzor

mYzor User

Thats why i said he should overclock the 2500k. (if he has the means and the know how). Its still a nice CPU.
    RAM is on the low side, but considering RAM prices still haven't dropped and the fact that, that platform is a dead end, i wouldnt invest in it.
    That graphic card can and most probably limit performance in Lineage 2 or any other game with any good amount of textures being loaded.
    And since he already has the game on an SSD, the room for improvement does not justify the price on a new one. (the difference between SSD's is not as large as going from an HDD to an SSD).
    Add to that some optimizations on the OS, a cleanup (compressed air can ftw) on the case and parts to make sure everything is going well (maybe a CPU repaste aswell).
    And things ingame like shadows, turning it off makes a good difference.

For someone that wants a pc to play Lineage 2, some new fps's and solo RPGs, recommending the 8600k or the 2700x.. that's abolute overkill. A ryzen 1600 would do the job for, like, 160€

@H473R If you have time, here's a good website/tool that can help you:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  18. iEdoo

iEdoo User

the guy simply ask a question and i gave him just a bit of info, not saying he should buy what im saying
    so let me get this straight, you first mention that im literally saying that he should throw away some money to get an CPU update but in other post im criticized for telling him he should stick with his old a ok functional 970 so he can save money... is this troll? because you mostly sound like an angry kid who's mad at people who dont support his brand.
    first of all, the guy is looking for an upgrade, going from 2500k to a 1600 isnt an upgrade, its throwing away 160€. also with that same money you could get i5 8400, or a ryzen 2600. or save 40€ and get the freaking 8600k. also already said that hes main issue is ram, and getting a new CPU = needs new ram (brainlets stay out). but w/e im out.
    hey should totally get the 2080ti! they totally worth it! (not)

19. mYzor

mYzor User

And thats ok, providing those type of benchmark websites were anywhere accurate in the real world. And they are not. (more on this later)

Sure, lets go. (and maybe you'll understand my posts better instead of going edgelord)

Nothing wrong about that? Or are we one of those "angry kids" that recommend 8600k and 1080Ti for 1080p60 ?

His 970, when faced with alot of textures is NOT "functional". This is where you seem to feel im angry when i start to contest these benchmark websites. Im not. Here, some nice reading about the: Nvidia 970

By saying the 8600k (from Intel) and the 2700X (from AMD) are overkill, what exactly is the brand im pushing for? :confused:

As i've said before. His CPU is fine. If he can overclock it, he can play this game no problem.
    The 2600 is a good option. I thought i said it before. (what i said was that even the 1600 would suffice since it can be overclocked to be close to the 2600, but w/e). The 8400 however, cant be overclocked.

Let me go step by step.
    He's looking to buy some parts now, and some parts later. This means his budget isnt as big as you may think.
    When you go from a 160€ CPU that can be overclocked to be close'ish to the 2600, to a CPU that costs 270€ (8600k). And do not forget, in order to get the full potential of that 8600k, you'll need an expensive motherboard.
    You are 100% right on the RAM part and that is why i said to overclock his CPU and not get into a new one. RAM prices are sky high at the moment. There is a good chance he could find RAM for his current build at way cheaper price.

20. H473R

H473R User

im still thinking about this new items:

CPU: Ryzen ( 2600, 2600x, 1600, 1600x )
    MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING or smaller ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
    RAM: G.SKill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 for AMD or Team T-FORCE Delta RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000

and VGA i will see if 1060 or ASUS Radeon ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING, 8GB GDDR5 (VGA later not now)

i want small case, but thats not the point.. if you can say me if that helps and will be good for some years i will buy that :)

again thanks